Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Windsongs of Joy



My studies require a lot of self reflection and thought. Iv'e been thinking in parts of my brain that have probably never been used before. One reflection activity asked me to write down 50 things that make me happy. Eish!
It sounds deceptively easy, but I suspect that this  list will be collected one at a time over a few weeks as I notice moments of flow. 
So today let me record todays one. #1: Flying a kite. I went to the kite festival today with N and D and D's girlfriend. We wandered around looking at all the kites. I decided I would buy one, a real beginners kite called an Ollie. It looks a little like a jelly fish. It was a lovely bright purple colour. We took turns flying the kite. It was such a happy moment standing on the field with lots of other kite flyers, my kite soaring and dipping and diving and crash landing on the field. 
My thanks go to the Chinese who apparently invented the kite, largely due to their abundance of silk and bamboo. Thanks guys. Just goes to show how important it is to use what you already have.  

5 comments:

  1. Kites are such good fun eh? though I must confess it's been quite some time since I've attempted to get one in the air..
    50 things that makes one happy? That sounds damned hard to me..50 is a lot! I'd be flat out thinking up 15 or 20 I think. (I assume it's not allowed to contain things like running over one's ex-spouse with a stolen truck?) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure if it makes you happy it should count. I suspect though that running over her 50 times may be cheating :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kites? I don't remember ever getting one off the ground. I'm proud of you. As for 50 things! Here lies my problem. I don't think I have 4. Share some more it will help me figure out my happy places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: you have a long list of things that make you happy right here on your blog - "about me"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suze, one of my happiest memories are of coming over to your house in the midst of my storms, hearing your chuckle made things seem doable. You may not be able to get a kite off the ground, but your house was always one of my happy places.

    Jackie,
    Doesn't it just! Yes, will add those to the growing list.

    ReplyDelete