Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Tale in Which Roger Loses his Mojo....as Mr Cool Dad.





For so long I have labored under the anxiety that the children find Roger, to be Mr Fun, Mr Cool and Mr Amazing Dad and find me to be Mrs Uuuunnnnncooool and not much fun to be with. Anyone who has read my blog will attest to the fact that  this theme  has circled in and out of my thinking perpetually, neverendingly and ad nauseum..

I'm learning VERY SLOWLY that things are not always how they seem and shockingly that you can't judge a book by it's cover. Who would have thunk?

The girl's were all draped over the counter as we prepared last nights Macaroni,with bacon and onion. If Marie Antoinette were alive today, she would bellow "Feed them Pasta," instead of her much maligned, "Feed them Cake." I just know these things.

So M, my middle child starts a conversation something like this. "I think dad has lost the art of being with children. When I speak to him, he speaks to me like he would one of his business associates." She always has her nose in a book, so she tends to use big words.

I tread carefully. The clam will slam shut if I say the least thing derogatory about Roger. She goes on to explain that she thinks it's because he doesn't spend enough time with children and spends his time with adults.

" I always thought he was so good with kids, "I say, not a word of a lie.

"Well maybe a while ago she says matter of factly. but he has lost it a little bit."

"I thought he was such fun?"

"Well, he can be fun....but not as much anymore." she repeats.

" I just think he is just not that used to it anymore. It takes a bit to get used to."

Certainly it does.

Amen Sista! -I think, awfully glad I'm the one who is "used to it" and feeling ever so much better, about life, the world and the universe.


No comments:

Post a Comment