Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Things to look forward to, things to look back on and the blue bird of happiness...





I have a colleague at work who is happy. Can you say that? I mean how many really happy people do you know? See what I mean? It may have something to do with her gorgeous surfer girl blonde locks or her slim figure. I mean I would be happy with a figure like that!

So on Friday, after a spate of wintery and wet days, the winter sun came out to play. Not the beastly, harsh summer sun with all her cancer-making rays,but the oh so welcome, slightly weaker winter sun. We all took our books and marked together on the picnic tables in the playground, enjoying the warmth on our backs and the companionship of friends who work together. We joked, we teased and marked.

Later it was decided to go for tea together at a nearby watering hole. Sitting around the table,sipping oversized cups of hot chocolate all covered in cream,  we quite naturally asked our friend, what makes you so happy? She said, "I always have something good to look forward too." Like Bali? we asked,  ( she has just come back from Bali) or Cold Play? ( she is going to see her favourite band play in Cape Town.) "Yes, but not always the big things sometimes the little things too.."

I guess that is why divorce can be so devastating, because all the things you looked forward to involved you and him and the kids. It seems for a while that there is nothing to look forward to. In time you get to a place where you have healed enough to start to see a glimmer of light and eventually in that dark and lonesome cocoon, you begin to nurture more dreams, and the butterfly of hope settles on your shoulder - she's called "your future" and she is beautiful and bright.

This is definitely a habit I intend to incorporate into my life.

Weirdness, my life is really yingy and yangy. This advice has just come on the heels of a decision I made to create a Red Letter Day Diary. I have written the days of the year, in a lined hard cover book.One day per page. On these pages I will record all the red letter days in my life. This Friday I look forward to entering a milestone into it. My oldest daughter will be going to her matric farewell. Eventually after many years I will have a record of all those monumental days in my life. Writing the dates in my book really filled me with a heady anticipation for the future. I wondered what wonderful monumental events I would record in my book.

Looking forward to things and looking back, the wonderful whiplash of a life well lived.




4 comments:

  1. I must confess that this is the first time I have perused through our blog. You write SO beautifully. It's amazing how well a picture forms in your mind. I'm glad you're turning over this new chapter, I could see it as really beneficial for all of us. What a great example! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your friend already...
    I find funny in the smallest of things, people often catch me laughing at seemingly nothing. I laughed until I had tears in my eyes while watching an ant carry off a piece of discarded crust..it tripped over, got up and carried on like a person would have. (that didnt happen)
    Enjoy life, find happiness where ever you see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah thankyou Ashley!

    Tempo, happy people are so much fun to be around. It is in the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have off and on in my life planned things just in order to look forward to them. It did make me happy but I thought it was just me trying to grab at happiness that I didn't have. Your friends thoughts have validated my own and have made me think that maybe it wasn't so bad trying to create the happiness I need.

    I'm going to make those kinds of plans again!
    Thanks I needed to hear this!

    ReplyDelete